Think Family Members Login Contact KBSP

Domestic and Physical Abuse

Domestic and Physical Abuse

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Domestic Abuse

If you are in danger in your home, please leave and seek help. Call 999 in an emergency. If you need urgent police help through the 999 service but cannot speak call 999, you will be connected to a phone operator who will ask which service you need.

On a mobile:

  • if you can’t speak but the operator hears something suspicious, they’ll connect you to a police call handler
  • if you can make some noise, whispering for example, the operator will connect you to the police
  • if you can’t speak, and the operator can ’t tell what service you need, they’ll transfer you to the Silent Solution system. This runs a 20 second automated message, and that will ask you to press 55, to be put through to the police

On a landline phone:

  • if you cannot speak and the operator can hear only background noise, they’ll connect your call to the police

GOV.UK has information on support for victims of domestic violence during the coronavirus crisis

Safe Lives have published a guide to staying safe during COVID-19 for victimes and survivors of domestic abuse

Women's Aid safety and support resources for survivors, friends, family, neighbours and community members

Domestic Abuse

Domestic and sexual, abuse and violence is not acceptable. If you or someone you know is a victim, report it and get help. Call 999 if a crime is happening now or you're in immediate danger.

Abuse and violence can be psychological, physical, financial or emotional. It can include:

  • domestic abuse
  • domestic violence
  • control, for example, not being allowed to go where you want, when you want
  • coercion, for example, being forced to do things you don’t want to do
  • female genital mutilation (FGM)
  • forced marriage
  • human trafficking and modern slavery
  • sex work or prostitution
  • sexual violence
  • sexual harassment

It can happen to anyone regardless of gender, age, race, background, disability, sexuality or type of relationship.

Report it

Violence or abuse is a crime and should be reported to the police. You can:

  • call 999 if a crime is happening now or you’re in immediate danger
  • call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
  • fill in the online crime form (
  • visit your local police station

Honour Based Violence

Honour based violence is domestic abuse usually committed by men towards women. Women are punished for bringing ‘shame’ on the family by not following rules that have been set, usually by the men of the family.

Honour based violence may be committed because a woman:

  • has a boyfriend or a same-sex partner
  • has rejected a forced marriage
  • is pregnant outside of marriage
  • has a relationship with someone from another faith
  • asks for a divorce
  • dresses in a way her partner or husband considers inappropriate

Advice and Support

The Bristol Against Violence and Abuse website lists organisations that can give support and advice, by the type of violence or abuse.

These organisations, supported by us, can also give help and support:

Next Link

Provide support services, and can help arrange emergency accommodation, for women and girls who have experienced domestic or sexual abuse. Freephone: 0800 4700 280 or Call 0117 925 0680 (check the website for current opening hours) or Email 

National Domestic Violence Helpline

Help for women experiencing domestic abuse. You’ll be able to talk confidentially to someone about your situation and find out what your options are. Call: 0808 2000 247. The phone line is open 24 hours day.

Women’s Aid

Have published the Survivor’s Handbook which has practical support and information for women experiencing domestic abuse.

Victim Support

Offer support for all men who have experienced domestic or sexual abuse. This includes anyone who identifies as male, who is gay, bisexual or transgender or who is fleeing ‘honour’ based violence and forced marriage. call 0300 303 1972 or 07432 504692 or email

Men's Advice Line

Offer support for men and boys who are victims of domestic abuse. 0808 801 0327 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm


Offer support for men and boys who are victims of domestic abuse. 01823 334244. Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm


If you’re in a same-sex relationship you can also contact Galop, the national LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline. Call: 0800 999 5428 or email

Karma Nirvana

Can help if you are experiencing hounour based violence. Call them on 0800 5999 247

Halo Project

Can help if you are experiencing hounour based violence. Call them on 01642 683 045

True Honour

Can help if you are experiencing hounour based violence. Call them on 07480 621711

SARSAS (Somerset & Avon Rape & Sexual Abuse Support)

Support service for people who have experienced sexual violence at any point in their life.

Helplines: 0808 801 0456 or 0808 801 0464 - these lines are open to all.

Monday: 11am to 2pm
Tuesday: 12pm to 2pm, and 6pm to 8pm
Wednesday: 12pm to 2pm, and 6pm to 8pm
Thursday: 12pm to 2pm, and 6pm to 8pm
Friday: 11am to 2pm


If you want someone to listen and give you emotional support, call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90.


Support for those who are concerned that their behaviour has become abusive and want to change is available from the  Respect helpline 0808 8024040


For children and young people

If you or someone else in your family is being hurt at home, you can tell a teacher, a neighbour, a friend, a friend's parent or the police. Domestic abuse isn’t your fault.

You can call Childline on 0800 1111 for free. They won't tell anyone else you’re calling unless you’re in immediate danger. They can tell you where you can get help.

The Hide Out website also helps children and young people experiencing domestic abuse and violence. 

You can also contact First Response team on 0117 903 6444.


If you’re a council tenant

Bristol City Counail can:

  • repair damage caused by domestic violence
  • give advice and help with the security of your home, such as changing the locks
  • give housing, benefits and money advice
  • give details of support organisations and help you contact them

Contact the Estate Management Service: call 0117 922 2200 (option four), Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm, email

If you move to temporary housing because of domestic violence, you might be able to claim housing benefit for both properties. You can apply for housing benefit online.